Online learning

Online vs. In-Person Learning

This pandemic has without a doubt placed students in a unique situation. Online learning has been something that we all have had to adjust to, but it is a necessary enforcement, designed to keep us all safe during these times. However, this raises the question of whether online school is as effective as in-person learning. 

 In-person learning will always have an edge over an online based system since learning is only half of what school is about. There are also the social aspects. Not only do we get a general education during class, we also learn social skills in between and outside of the classroom, and there is really no way to have the same experiences while online. To this point, a poll taken from my personal social media account asks students, “What do you miss about school?: Your friends, or Learning.” The results show that 83% of students say they miss their friends. While the other 17% miss learning in a classroom, which proves that school is not only a place to be educated, but a place to build relationships and social skills. Another difficulty is the  numerous technical issues that keep online

From lagging to “zoombombing,” there are many problems that arise when learning from a screen.

 

learning from being as smooth as sitting in a classroom. From lagging to “zoombombing,” there are many problems that arise when learning from a screen. While teachers and schools have come up with great solutions to these problems, there are still many rough spots that need to be polished. I can say that from my experience that many unexpected and frustrating internet problems have occurred on a daily basis. I do recognize that in our current situation of online schooling is very necessary. However in general, in-person learning is more engaging, interactive, and smooth. 

Another poll shows that, out of 282 students, 204 prefer in-person learning, and 78 prefer online. A Dana sophomore, comments, “Online learning is so much more of a nuisance. I find it as a waste of time rather than something that could help me. I’m not retaining any of the information that is being taught. I’m mindlessly staring at a computer for 7 hours a day. I can’t see any of my friends. No social interaction whatsoever. No football games, no activities at lunch. Waking up for school seems like a chore rather than a priority.” It appears that the majority agree with this student, making similar comments touching on the lack of social interactions and not being taught properly. On the contrary there still is a strong chunk of students who feel differently. A Dana junior explains how “It’s just like more time to yourself, you know? You can work on your own schedule.” While small, this group makes a solid point, that working at your own pace can prove to be a more beneficial quality to this online situation. However, sophomore Suleiman Malik puts it best: “it’s kind of a conflict of interest considering that the virus is at a high in the states right now, and online school IS necessary if we want to try to lower risk, but at the same time, we want to get back in school.” Online school has helped lower the risk, though it may not be an effective approach to school. 

Given these points and data, it would seem that the majority of students would like to return to learning in-person. It is important to be patient and positive during this time and do the best you can given the situation. I look forward to the day that I can return back to school with you all again.

Comment down below and visit the front page for more!

From lagging to “zoombombing,” there are many problems that arise when learning from a screen.

 

Both CSF and NHS have decided to wave the hour requirement for this semester.

Source: Presidents of NHs and CSF

Related posts

Should Pro-Sports Teams be Playing at this time?

Maxine Gable

State of the Union Address: Opposing Views

THE PAPER

Playstation 5 v. Xbox Series X: Which Should You Buy?

James Nollar

Leave a Comment